This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy here.
If that expression doesn’t ring a bell and fill your heart with holiday cheer, well then…you need this list of the Top 10 Best Holiday Movies to watch during December.
Some you will find in your local listings or you can buy them to watch at your leisure! (Lots of them are insanely cheap on Amazon with Prime shipping…like less than $5!)
Note: My selections will tend towards the funny movies, NOT the heartwarming ones.
10. Home for the Holidays: This movie is about Holly Hunter journeying home for Thanksgiving, but I’ll allow it as a “holiday movie.”
9. A Christmas Story: How could I not include this?
8. Love, Actually: I wasn’t obsessed with this movie like some of my friends who shall remain nameless (cough KJ cough), but I still think it was a fun, festive Christmas-y good time.
7. The Family Stone: Amazing cast of actors play a family gathering under one roof for the holidays.
6. Go: Definitely not a traditional holiday movie, but it takes place between Christmas and New Year’s, plus I just love this movie about a wild night in the life of characters whose lives all end up intersecting. Not for children.
5. Elf: Truth be told, I’m actually sick of seeing Elf. But it is really funny.
4. Surviving Christmas: An underrated holiday gem. Ben Affleck is a wealthy a**hole who pays a family to let him spend the holidays with them. Also starring Catherine O’Hara, James Gandolfini, and Christina Applegate.
3. Bad Santa: A devilishly funny Christmas movie with Billy Bob Thornton and Lauren Graham. NOT suitable for children.
2. Home Alone: My vocabulary of movie one-liners is littered with quotes from Home Alone like “I am upstairs, ya dummy” and “It’s…for the kids.” This childhood classic has stood the test of time and I can’t wait to enjoy it with my own kids!
1. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: Simply the best.
So, give it to me straight. What did I miss? I’m sure there are some that you are simply appalled that didn’t make my cut.
What do YOU think are the best holiday movies?