In recent weeks the media has been abuzz with the Bruce Jenner interview by Diane Sawyer. Would the Olympian reveal that he is, indeed, undergoing a sex change as speculated? Would we see him in his new life as a woman?
Well last night, the Bruce Jenner interview aired on Dateline.
In case you missed it, here is a recap of The Bruce Jenner Interview.
- Bruce felt that he had a woman’s soul ever since he was a little child, when he started putting on dresses to feel more like himself. Anxiety over the struggle between his physical gender and how he felt inside plagued him ever since.
- Bruce refers to the woman inside him simply as “her.”
- His intent for publicizing this is two-fold: he doesn’t want to hide anymore AND he wants to help people like himself.
- He is, and has always been, attracted to women.
- He took female hormones in the 1980s for five years in an effort to begin transitioning into a woman, but then lost his nerve. He didn’t want to hurt his children. His anxiety returned.
- Bruce used to go out in public, dressed fully as a woman. No one ever knew it was him.
- Bruce told each of his three wives that he was having these “issues.”
- After Diane Sawyer asked if he was sorry he did Keeping Up with the Kardashians: “The entire run, I kept thinking to myself, oh my God. This whole thing, the one, real, true story in the family was the one I was hiding and nobody knew about. The one thing that could really make a difference in people’s lives was right here in my soul and I could not tell that story.”
- ABC reached out to Jenner’s three wives. His first two wives gave messages of support, while Kris Jenner gave a “No comment.”
- Bruce says truthfully that if Kris had been really okay with this, they might still be married.
- Telling his children was the most terrifying for Bruce. “I can’t let myself hurt them,” he says. “How do I do this and not hurt them?” They have all been supportive, and the four oldest children came on-camera to say how brave their dad is.
- Brandon Jenner told his dad that he is even more proud of this accomplishment than of the Olympic gold medal.
- The first of his younger children he told was Kim Kardashian. He recently told the entire group and they all cried. He says they don’t want anyone to hurt their dad. Khloe is taking it the hardest, according to Bruce.
- Words of wisdom from Kanye have allowed Kim to be the most accepting of Bruce. Kanye told Kim that you can have the most beautiful wife and children, but if you can’t be yourself, it means nothing.
- Bruce leans to the conservative side of political views.
- He wonders if God put him here on Earth to deal with this issue.
- Bruce is back on the hormones now and is going to have cosmetic surgery on his face and breasts. He has NOT decided yet whether or not to have sexual reassignment surgery, but says that if he did, we would never know about it.
- He doesn’t know if he will get married again. Like he says, he’s 65, it’s not like he wants to go out and get it on all the time.
- “I’ve got my health, I’ve got my children, I’ve got my family, I’ve got seven grandkids now. I’m actually really excited about the future, about what I could do…to be able to do some real good in the world.”
- “I hope I’m gonna be okay. I feel like I’m gonna be okay. 2015’s gonna be quite a ride.”
- Bruce had a private (not filmed) dinner with Diane Sawyer, dressed as a female. Diane said she (Bruce) seemed happy and looked great.
- Bruce has a simple goal…to be able to have nail polish on long enough for it to chip off.
- Bruce’s mom and sister are very supportive. Bruce wishes he had told his father before his passing 14 years ago.
- “I’m saying goodbye to people’s perception of me and who I am. I’m not saying goodbye to me, because this has always been me. Have an open mind and an open heart. I’m not this bad person, I’m just doing what I have to do.”
I thought this interview was incredibly powerful. I have so much respect for Bruce Jenner and his family, who have handled this with grace under the scrutiny of the paparazzi.
What did you think of the interview? Will you watch the upcoming documentary series about Bruce’s transition?