For June, I wanted to focus on something simple. Something with easy tasks, but tasks that perhaps I’ve been neglecting or have never really attempted to do on an everyday basis. So for June’s Happiness Project focus, I chose Health.
This is a critical month for health for me, because (if all goes according to plan) I will be giving birth to my second child this month. With all the fuss of caring for a newborn, mom’s needs tend to get neglected. So for this month, I want to concentrate on the following tasks that I hope (and pray) will keep me healthy and sane during the following weeks:
1. Take naps. Obviously this was a lot easier with only one child to take care of. Now that I will have two, I imagine that napping days will be slim to none. Still, I do have the afternoon nap window of my older child to use. And I’d like to use it for sleep, since I’ll be up many hours of the night with a new little one. This may mean foregoing chores on some days, but I will just have to be okay with that!
2. Drink 64 oz. of water each day (and no coffee). I have been slacking on the whole drinking water thing. Some days I will have just coffee, juice, and milk. I gave up coffee for about a month but then it slowly crept back into my life. I think I’m ready to give it up again. Tea is much more refreshing in the summer, anyway. (Dammit, I just remembered iced coffees…).
3. Plan dinner menus on Sundays. Not knowing what is going to be for dinner each day drives me crazy. Even though it’s my problem and one that I could easily fix. I just never get around to making the actual meal plan. Well now it is set in stone- Sundays are my Meal Plan Days. I will enlist my husband’s help and together we can come up with a plan, of both what’s for dinner and who will cook it. In my house, new baby= the hubby cooks dinner a LOT more. Thank God.
4. Eat fruits and/or veggies with every meal. I hope that this goal will rub off on my daughter’s eating habits. She rarely will eat fruits and vegetables, and I could certainly stand to have more in my diet. Mmmm frozen grapes!
5. Go for a walk every day. This one might be more for my sanity than my physical health. I’m envisioning moments of Get me the hell out of here where I will be oh so eager to just get out the door, even if it’s to take the dog for a walk. I’m actually anxious to start running again, but I’ll have to see what my doctor says about that. For now, walking will suffice.
I am realistic about June. Excited, but realistic. A new baby is TOUGH. Wish me luck to make it through to the other side!
What are you working on this month as a personal goal?