Yesterday I noticed that both my kids were running out of diapers, so we went to Target and bought some.
Such a simple thing that most of us probably take for granted- our children have a need, so we use our money to provide for them, whether it be diapers, formula, or warm clothes for the winter.
Can you even imagine what it must feel like to be a parent who can’t provide for your child?
To have to keep your infant in a wet diaper overnight because you only have one left for tomorrow?
As soon as I read the story of the Cuddle Me Program, I knew I had to help. The Cuddle Me Program is a diaper and formula bank that believes no child should suffer because his parents can’t afford basic care items.
From their website:
“Like hunger, a lack of diapers has a profound impact on a child and family. Without enough diapers, parents are sometimes forced to change their babies less frequently or reuse soiled or wet diapers, putting children at high risk for painful diaper rash, infection, illness and worse: Studies show that a child who cries frequently—and children with diaper rash and infections generally do cry more—is more likely to suffer abuse.
Diapers are essential to the daily care of an infant or toddler, and yet many families cannot afford them. A typical infant uses 10 to 12 diapers a day, adding up to about $100 to $120 per month, a cost not usually covered by federal or state assistance programs.
The Cuddle Me Program seeks to bridge the gap by providing free diapers and wipes—as well as formula, cereal and other essentials—to babies in need and their families. We reach families through a growing network of partners already embedded in the communities we serve.”
Now through December 24th, I will be holding a drive to collect supplies for the Cherry Hill, NJ location of the Cuddle Me Program.
How you can help:
1. Donate diapers, formula, or any of the other needed items. I have drop-off locations in South Jersey and North Jersey. Whenever I have a large enough donation, I’ll deliver to the Cuddle Me Program. If you are local, email me at HolidayDiaperDrive@gmail.com to find out where you can drop off donations.
Here is the full list of items needed by the program:
- Diapers. We need all sizes, but ESPECIALLY sizes 3, 4, 5, and 6. Diapers can be opened packs- they do not have to be full packs!
- Wipes. Some babies are sensitive to heavy scents, but all kinds are needed.
- Formula and cereal, and feeding accessories like bottles, nipples, cups, bowls, spoons and bibs.
- Baby clothing (new or used) for boys and girls from size newborn to 5T, but ESPECIALLY winter coats and boots for children 0-3 years.
- Baby equipment:
- Car seats
- High chairs
- Board books and soft toys
2. Not local? You can ship your extra diapers to me or order diapers from Amazon and have those sent to me. Again, email me at HolidayDiaperDrive@gmail.com for shipping information.
3. Share this drive. Share it on your Facebook page, in your office, or with your friends. Tweet about it. Blog about it. Ask guests at your holiday party to bring their extra diapers. Maybe you will reach that random friend who has a stockpile of diapers in her garage that she doesn’t know what to do with.
4. Mail all those formula coupons you get when you’re pregnant if you’re not using them- they will take those, too! Email me at HolidayDiaperDrive@gmail.com for address.
Please, please, please help spread the word. Let’s try to donate 1,000 diapers by Christmas!