When I was a kid, I always hated how there were never any new TV episodes during the summer. Although I do have a vague recollection of Melrose Place premiering in the summer. Did that really happen? If so, that was a brilliant idea.
After spending the day at the pool or the beach or in a hot, stuffy office, sometimes the most relaxing thing to do is sit in your dark, cool den and watch TV. With wine.
With the exception of a few cable shows, there’s really nothing new on right now. To combat your summer boredom, why not try out a new show? My suggestion: AMC’s The Walking Dead.
My husband started watching this long before I did, and I never thought it would be a show I’d enjoy. I WAS WRONG. Oh, so very wrong. I decided to check it out a few months ago. I watched the first episode. Then the second. And the third.
I became like a crack addict. I would hop on the couch the minute my daughter went down for a nap and wonder how many episodes I could possibly squeeze in before she woke up. Three? Four? Five if I give her Benadryl?? (Just kidding.)
I watched the first three seasons (32 episodes) in a span of two weeks. And then I became depressed. I was all, I need more Walking Dead. How will I ever wait until the fourth season starts to get my fix?! This show is THAT GOOD.
Without further adieu, I present to you…
10 Reasons Why You Should Be Watching The Walking Dead:
10. Like I mentioned earlier, nothing else is on. So would you rather watch repeats of Big Bang Theory that seemingly air constantly or get hooked on a new, exciting show?
9. It’s the good kind of scary. I don’t like shows or movies that scare me with what I view as a realistic threat…like murderers, pedophiles (i.e. Law and Order, SVU), and sharks. As far as I know, there is no possibility of zombies actually chasing me for my flesh. Yet. So I can watch The Walking Dead and go to sleep unafraid that what I just watched might possibly come to fruition.
8. You will be able to participate in the conversation with the other 12 million people who watch The Walking Dead. I have missed out on other popular shows in the past, like Lost and Dexter. I didn’t start watching Lost until the final season. And when I wanted to talk to people about stuff happening in the Season 1 episodes I was watching, no one could even remember what the heck I was talking about. Get into The Walking Dead now, before it’s too late.
7. You will be able to buy cool bumper stickers like this one.
6. It’s not JUST about zombies. There’s drama, too. Love triangles, marital problems, even baby mama drama…stuff that chicks would enjoy.
5. Norman Reedus. AKA Daryl Dixon. AKA My Future Second Husband. Good Lord is this man sexy! And he knows how to shoot a crossbow. If you aren’t attracted to him right off the bat, just wait. It’ll happen. (If not, there’s always Rick or Shane.)
4. It’s on AMC, so you don’t have to shell out the big bucks to get into one of those other popular shows on Showtime or HBO.
3. There are strong female characters, if that’s the kind of thing you are looking for in a TV show. You’ve got Lori, Andrea, Maggie, Michonne- take your pick. (Full disclosure: it’s debatable whether or not Lori is “strong.” She becomes quite annoying.)
2. The timing is right. The sixth season is going to be over in a matter of weeks and you will have all spring/summer/early fall to get it done before the seventh season premiere.
1. It’s gripping and entertaining. I have yet to meet a person who can say, “Yeah, I tried that show and it wasn’t for me.” Each episode is more exciting than the next and will leave you wanting more.
Want more of The Naughty Mommy’s obsession with The Walking Dead?
Image courtesy of Wikipedia.